Let the assembly of scarecrows begin! Get together with your family, co-workers, or any team, to create a scarecrow for the Scarecrow Festival at Lake Julian Park Oct. 25–31. You can also create a scarecrow on your own if you prefer to work in solitude. Mwa-ha-ha! You do just need to register by October 19th to take part. There is no fee to enter.
Scarecrows will be judged on originality/creativity, design, and workmanship. There are a few different categories to consider: Traditional, Recycle and Reduce, and Cultural. Winners in each category, Judges’ Best of Show, and People’s Choice will each win a free picnic shelter rental! Simply for entering you will receive a vehicle admission pass to Festival of Lights!
Voting will happen on the social media pages for the Buncombe County Recreation Services from Oct. 26th -28th.
The following rules have been posted by Buncombe County:
- Registration ends on Oct. 19, 2021.
- All entries must be fully assembled and on-site at Lake Julian Park no later than noon on Oct. 25, 2021. Participants are also welcome to construct or drop off entries between 11 a.m.-6 p.m. on Oct. 21-24, 2021. Information for checking in will be emailed following registration.
- Scarecrows can be collected any time after 9 a.m. on Nov. 1, 2021.
- All entries will be displayed outdoors and must be able to withstand the elements.
- All decorations must be securely attached.
- Entries must be free-standing or have their own support system.
- All scarecrows must be no larger than 7 feet tall as measured in place from the ground to the highest point of the entry and no wider than 4 feet.
- Participant name and title of scarecrow must be displayed on a waterproof sign with an entry for voting purposes for People’s Choice.
- Please keep in mind this is a family-friendly event. Political or controversial statements hate speech, and adult content is not permitted. Buncombe County reserves the right to deny any entry.
- No electricity will be available for the displays.
- No items such as tiki torches, gas-powered generators, or any other flammable objects are allowed to be any part of an entry.
- Human scarecrows or mechanical scarecrows facilitated by a human are not allowed.
- Buncombe County is not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged personal items associated with the scarecrow while on display.
- Judges will select a Best of Show winner and winners in three categories:
- Traditional: Utilize old cloth, straw, and natural supplies to pay homage to scarecrows that have been “scaring crows” from farmers’ fields and gardens for centuries.
- Recycle and Reduce: Create a scarecrow from recyclable and reusable items – such as old milk jugs, flower pots, gourds, soccer balls, wood, etc. – to highlight our community’s commitment to a sustainable future.
- Cultural: Real-world and historical holidays related to the fall season are plentiful! Which does your scarecrow celebrate: harvest, Halloween, Día de Muertos, Ghost Festival, Guy Fawkes Night, All Saints’ Day, or something else?
- For the People’s Choice Award, voting will take place online from Oct. 26-28, 2021.